Thursday 9 February 2012

Berlinale 2012 - a new mini-series


Today started the Berlinale - the international film festival of Berlin, Germany. 

 It’s the 62th Berlinale – and I will try to post a bit about it.. So please expect some posts to learn a bit about this film festival..

~ Berlinale 2012 ~

About 400 films - 395 films to be specific - will be shown in several cinemas in Berlin – and just in eleven days! 

I'll try to post about eleven of these films – just some of those which interest me. And I will also post at least one picture per post of bygone days of Berlinale or films which were shown then – because of course also well-known faces of Hollywood showed up in my favourite German city..

~  Berlinale audience waiting for some stars to appear - though I think the nationality really doesn't count here..~

The film to open the festival a few hours ago is one that sparks also in my interest: 

LES ADIEUX À LA REINE

The international title is FAREWELL, MY QUEEN

~ No happy faces at Versailles in 1789 ~


It’s a French film starring Diane Kruger (who actually hails from the same area of Germany as I do – by that we are of course practically twins.. *ho-hum..*), 

~ Diane Kruger as Marie Antoinette ~

Léa Seydoux (who some of you might know from films like MISSION IMPOSSIBLE – GHOST PROTOCOL (2011), ROBIN HOOD (2010) or MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011) – like Diane Kruger she also was in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009)..) -

~ Léa Seydoux as Sidonie Laborde ~


 and the wonderful Virginie Ledoyen (who you might have seen in THE BEACH (2000) or one of my favourites: 8 WOMEN (2002) …)

~ Virginie Ledoyen  as Gabrille de Polignac making quite an entrance.. ~

Versailles, 1789.  French Revolution just has begun. Marie Antoinette (Diane Kruger) asks her reader Sidonie Laborde (Léa Seydoux) to wear some of Marie Antoinette's clothes and try to leave Versaille. What Sidonie first thinks is a sign of friendship and caring - is actually an attempt to sidetrack revolutionists..


~ Virginie Ledoyen & Diane Kruger ~

As far as I know this film shows the events in Versailles from the servants’ point of view – which I think might be quite interesting. The film is based on a novel by Chantal Thomas. I might have to wait till May to finally watch this film - it will be released here on May 24th.. 

~ Léa Seydoux and director Benoît Jacquot at work ~


Enough for today – have a look at the film which opened the first Berlinale 1951:

~ yes - indeed: the fantastic REBECCA (1940) ~

Here is the film which was the darling of the public - the audience’s favourite that year:

~ don't you love Disney's CINDERELLA (1950), too ?


Thank you very much for listening!

Yours (very well and) truly

Irene

2 comments:

  1. A very impressive post Irene. Very cool! Always nice to see Diane, as you well know. And I did not know Lea Seydoux was in it. True I did not know her until seeing Mission Impossible but she made an effective assassin in that film. So I am anxious to see more of her now. Thanks for sharing Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Monty! Glad that you like it!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")