Monday 24 October 2011

Memorable Film and TV Characters (9): Fran Kubelik (THE APARTMENT)

One of the screen's best characters has to be Fran Kubelik (played wonderfully by Shirley MacLaine). Fran is an elevator girl who had an affair with a married man named Sheldrake (played against type by Fred MacMurray). Up and comer C.C Baxter (played by Jack Lemmon) at the same insurance company where Sheldrake works meets Fran and they go out on a date. Everything is great until C.C. learns about Fran's affair with his boss and then things get complicated. Fran is so gosh darned lovable you just hate to see her used by Sheldrake when you see she would be better off with C.C. She may be slightly neurotic but that's one of the things you love about her.

Now I know audiences today maay claim Fran is too submissive and vulnerable but the time period is the 60's so I won't argue the point. But I do believe seeing Fran find true unconditonal love is well worth the wait and reward. I think she is one of the most memorable characters in film ever.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE her. Marvellous post, Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran Kubeliks is tops! I mean, decency-wise, and other-wise, Apartment-wise!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")