Saturday 6 August 2011

Let's shed some light on ELLA RAINES....OK?

Ella Raines birthday is today and it seems not too many people know that much about her, including my friend here Irene.
No  need to worry, I will try to shed some light on this wonderful actress. I so love that name too. Ella. So beautiful.

She was born Ella Wallace Raines near Snoqualmie Falls, Washington on August 6th, 1920. She studies drama at the University of Washington and was appearing in a play there when she was seen by director Howard Hawks. He quickly signed her to a contract and her first film was Corvette K-225 in 1943, co-starring Randolph Scott. She then appeared in a string of big studio films include Cry Havoc (1943) with Joan Blondell, Ann Sothern and Maureen Sullavan; the film noir classic, The Phantom Lady (1944); Preston Sturges comedy Hail The Conquering Hero (1944) with Eddie Bracken; and the John Wayne western, Tall in the Saddle (1944).
But then just like that she was handed B films and her career kind of cooled after such a hot start. Ella retired from acting in 1957 but return to TV in 1984 for an episode of the private detective series Matt Houston, which I fondly remember.
One of Ella's biggest films, Hail The Conquering Hero with Eddie Bracken

Ella was married twice. Her first marriage to Kenneth Trout lasted just three years in the mid 40's. Her second marriage to Robin Olds lasted a lot longer, nearly 30 years and produced two children.
Ella died from throat cancer on May 30, 1988.  She was also a very big animal lover.

I've seen a few of her films and thought she was very talented but never had the career she deserved. I would say if you want to watch some of her films that show Ella at her best I would say start with Hail The Conquering Hero and Cry Havoc. Two of her very best. I hope this little post has shed some light on such a marvelous and talented woman.

The photos below show how much Ella loved her animals....



This one is for you Irene....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, Monty! - Especially for the recommendations of films to start with!

    And many thanks for that cat picture!! And the pictures with the dogs!

    (That puppy!! Don't let it hear my cats but: Awww!)

    Thank you for this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella was fantastic, lovely, she had it all. Definitly underated glamor girl, who's career slow down I simply can't fatheom.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - I'll read them all and if I can think of an answer I'll post it. :")